22 June 2013

rainbow daybreak shawl

Rainbow Spun DaybreakShawl

A few posts back I showed some striping textured rolag/batts that I was testing.  I spun up about 1.5 oz of rainbow striped rolag/batts and knit a cool shawl by a neat designer.  The pattern is called daybreak, it's a stephen west pattern.  It's been made so many times and can look so different depending on the colour progressions and pairings.

Rainbow Spun DaybreakShawl

Here are the rolags I spun the yarn from.  I dyed it all, even the bamboo and the nepps.

Carded batts half each

Below are some more sets I've put together:

Textured Rolled Batts 2oz

Textured Rolled Batts

Textured Rolled Batts

2 4oz matching striped batts

This is a skein I spun from one of my sets:
Self striping skein

I've also been doing lots of textured mixed batts. I love adding flax, linen, sari waste, nylon and tencel... it makes such a neat blend for doing fun art yarns.  Below are some batts and a cool bubble ply skein that I did.

Bubble Ply

Textured Batts

Textured Batts

Aside from dyeing solids to blend with, I've been doing alot of low water immersion dyeing as well.  I love the look of handpainted rovings, but hate the waste of using saran wrap for steaming.  So instead, I only put about 1.5 inches of water in the pot, and organize the yarn into sections with certain areas hanging in the pot so I can still apply colour in sections or areas intentionally.  The result is really neat because they end up being more painterly.  Looser, but still controlled.

hand dyed mixed bfl

Hand dyed mixed bfl

LavenderDesert 50/30/20 Wool Silk Seacell

ForestMoss 50/30/20 Wool Silk Seacell

Seafaring 50/30/20 Wool Silk Seacell


Baby Quilt done!

Baby quilt

Baby quilt

I finished the baby quilt I was working on. It ended up being about 52 by 52 inches so a pretty good size.  The backing is a plain organic cotton and for the binding I used the leftovers from the king size I made last year.  I attempted to do free motion quilting with a darning foot i bought, but the arm on my machine is not big enough, and it was too hard to have so much of the quilt stuffed into the little area.  I put the regular foot back on and just did stitch in the ditch but of course since I didn't bother to put the walking foot on, it got a bit pinchy.  Especially the binding. It kind of did a small pinch at each pin.  I'm not good enough to go without pinning for the binding.  So it's ok though, because they're just small mistakes.  I messed up the mitering of the corners a bit too, but nothing too major. I'm still happy with it.  It's a bit busy, I wish I had some solids in my stash.  Next time I'm at the store, I'll stock up on a few metres of neat coloured solids.

Baby quilt